Monday, July 27, 2009

be still my beeting heart...

I made a wonderful culinary discovery on the weekend, Candy Cane beets. Just the name itself intrigued me enough to purchase them. I got home and immediately sliced one up to see what I might find. Sure enough they had a lovely white inside with pretty pink rings. I had never heard of them before, but it was part of what I love about going to the farmers market. The chance of discovery. I also love the notion of buying local produce during the summer months. I know that is all the rage these days, but the freshness of the local produce offered at this time of the year at the markets is quite wonderful. Although you do still have to watch out if you are trying to buy local. We picked up some absolutely delicious nectarines, but when we were washing them we discovered they were from the United States. Now, they were delicious, but if things aren't grown in the immediate area, then I try to buy from Canada when I can.
Another thing the farmers market is perfect for is that it provides an amazing venue for people watching. Talk about a cultural mosaic, which is part of what makes Canada so great. You have the chance to interact with many different cultures and see people from many different social classes. It is one of the most entertaining and relaxing way to shop for groceries. Okay, it can get a little tense when the little old ladies are trying to strong arm their way to the vine ripen tomatoes, but nothing that a good bitch slap can't correct. Ha!Ha! Just kidding, they could take me with one arm tied behind their back.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/candy-cane-beet-salad-with-orange-and-fennel

No comments:

Post a Comment