Saturday, August 1, 2009

The path not taken...

How does someone know when he or she has reached a crossroads? What does that mean? Could we quickly go down the wrong path without evening knowing that choices were present? After all, sometimes when you are driving and distracted you may find yourself at home without remembering the twists and the turns that made up a journey home.
What about life? How do we engage so that we don’t make the little decisions each day that might lead us down a different path, the wrong path, or maybe not even the wrong path, but rather just missing out on the most optimal path. After all, no one wants to miss out on the best life, the most exciting life possible. The perfect life where someone looks back on their deathbed and says I did everything I wanted, I regret nothing, and I’ve had the best experience available to me.
As I’m getting the older, I think the best way to experience the perfect way for me is to really get to understand whom I am. What makes me happy? What do I enjoy? How do I get the best experience out of life? I think part of this includes understanding my values. What do I hold true and how do I unsure my daily existence doesn’t conflict with my values.
To understand my values, I had to understand my choices. What are values? It seems like a very simple thing, but I’m sure that when asked, most people wouldn’t even know what to say. To do a bit of a discovery of what my values are, I’ve done a little review of the web and have come up with the following:
- Having a sense of humour
- Having enough time for myself
- Being free to do what I want
- Embracing diversity (understanding and accept cultures and individual and group differences)
- Having a feeling of tranquility
- Having good self-esteem
- Using my imagination
- Being creative
- Receiving credit for my work
- Having financial security
- Value the arts
- Being respected and valued
Once a person knows their values, I believe they have to keep them present with every choice that a person makes. This will, I’m starting to believe, is how a person can help navigate their path so they really do live the optimal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment