Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Where are you going to be in 10 years?

Most people would think this would refer to their career, and of course that does encompass part of that question, but beyond just career, where would you want to be? In asking that of myself, I had a shock of excitement and nervousness. Where do I want to be? What kind of person would I like to evolve in to?

I think I like the second question more than the first. After all, I would like to think I will be in a position where I’m very content with who I am and how I look. I want to love and I want to be loved. I want to be respected. I want to be a good person who cares about people and things. I want to be more concerned with the present, than worried about the future. To actually fully feel every moment, be observant of what is around me. To be focused on stopping to smell the roses over rushing to get to the end of the garden path.

Maybe that is why when we get older, our bodies force us to slow down. Maybe then and only then can we move at a pace where we focus and enjoy the smallest things, like sitting on a bench and taking in the smell of fresh cut grass or the fragrances flowing from a garden. Maybe understanding happiness can be the enjoyment of the sun from the coolness of the shade of a large tree.

Okay, granted, that picture is a little farther out than 10 years for me, but I think the idea of being more content and present is certainly a good place to be. That is the kind of place I would like to evolve to while all the while feeling love and happiness as much is available to any one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment